Saturday, March 7, 2015

How to play Amazon Prime Music on Sonos (and listen to all music for free using YouTube)

When the new Prime Music feature came out, I was pretty excited. Being an avid Amazoner, with a package arriving at my house almost every day, I had signed up for Prime. I also owned a Sonos sound system after my ancient CD/cassette player broke down. Would this mean that the days of buying songs were over?
I quickly realized the bad news: Amazon Music for Sonos doesn't support Prime Music. To make the songs that are free on my phone work on the Sonos, I would have to buy them.
      *sad face*
But then, after living for months with this sad reality, I had a great idea! I would plug a Bluetooth audio receiver into the Line-In port of my PLAY:5, then just pair my phone with it and use it like a Jambox! To all the tech noobs out there, don't worry. It's actually pretty simple. Here's how it works:

YOU ONLY NEED TO BUY ONE THING (~$25):

DEVILISHLY DIFFICULT SETUP (involves many steps!):
  1. Plug the audio receiver in to the "Line-In" port (looks like a computer's headphone jack) of your speaker. You can do this using the cable that came with your receiver box.
You're done!
How it works: This system works by turning your Internet speaker into "wireless headphones" for your phone. This way, if you can play it on your phone, you can play it on your speaker.

BRIEF INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:
  1. Pair your phone with the receiver, as you would pair it with a Jambox.
  2. In the first screen of the Sonos app, tap Line-in
  3. Play your Prime music. It will magically start playing on your Sonos Speaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment